Frequently Asked Questions
- Q How long do your products last?
A ZERON, 6-8 years; OPTILON, 2-3 years; HYDROLON, 1-2 years; PATIO TONES 3-4 years.
- Q How do I tell what type of paint is on my pool?
A Send a sample to Kelley Technical Coatings, Inc. If no samples are available, follow instructions under the Previously Coated Pools tab on the Selecting Your Coating page.
- Q Can you apply ZERON over OPTILON or HYDROLON?
A ZERON is not chemically compatible with OPTILON or HYDROLON unless our conversion coating FUSION PLUS is applied first.
- Q What if my customer complains of two shades of the same color?
A Sometimes slight color variances occur between different batches. Kelley Technical Coatings stamps a six digit “batch number” on each box and can. Be sure your customer leaves with same batch number for any product. If not possible, have them “mix” the two batches in a large container prior to application.
- Q What happens if it rains after my customer coats their pool?
A Once the product has completely “set up”, rain will not affect the coating. However, no standing water should be allowed to stand, i.e. main drain, this water should be pumped out or otherwise removed to prevent blistering and fading.
- Q Can I apply your product over another paint?
A As a general rule, you need to use the same type coating that is on your pool. (i.e. epoxy over epoxy, rubber base over rubber base, acrylic over acrylic.)
- Q Is primer required on recoats of ZERON?
A POXOPRIME II, or GUNZITE PRIMER, are required on a bare surface only. On recoats of ZERON, a primer is not necessary. If spot priming is required, use GUNZITE PRIMER. POXOPRIME II should only be used on never before coated smooth plaster and concrete.
- Q What are the primary reasons for unsatisfactory product performance?
A Improper surface preparation is the number one cause of blistering and other performance issues. Unacceptable application conditions such as heat or cold can also contribute, and always follow the proper curing schedule prior to filling the pool.
- Q What is your warranty?
A We manufacture our products with the highest quality materials, however, we do not offer a general product warranty because of factors which we cannot control (i.e. weather, workmanship, etc.)
- Q Are epoxy catalysts interchangeable?
A NO. Mixing wrong catalyst with wrong base will cause product failure.
- Q What system is recommended for fiberglass, hot tubs or spas?
A Only the GUNZITE PRIMER and ZERON system are recommended for these surfaces.
800-458-2842 and ask for Technical Support.